Quick Guide to Answering Common Questions

Q: How do I sign up for the SAT/ACT?

A: Everything is online. Even the method of payment. To sign up for the SAT, go to www.collegeboard.org. To sign up for the ACT, go to www.act.org.

Q: Do I qualify for an SAT or ACT fee waiver?

A: If you participate in the Free/Reduced Lunch Program, you qualify for a waiver. A fee waiver will pay for your SAT or ACT test. You can receive two fee waivers for each test.

Q: How do I get an SAT or ACT fee waiver?

A: See Mrs. Evans or Ms. Rodriguez in the College and Career Center to get a fee waiver for both tests.

Q: How do I send my SAT or ACT scores?

A: When you sign up for the test, you will select which schools you would like your send your scores. This is the best option because it is FREE. If you wait until after you take the test to send your scores, you may have to pay $12 to send your scores to each school.

Q: Where do I go to apply for college?

A: For any state college or university in Texas, you will go to www.applytexas.org. If you plan to apply to a private or Ivy League school, go to www.commonapp.org. If you are applying to an out-of-state school, go directly to the college or university website.

Q: How do I get a college application fee waiver?

A: If you have taken the SAT test and paid for it by using a test waiver, then you are eligible for four college application fee waivers. That’s right, the universities want you to pay to apply to their school. Once your SAT scores are released, you will be able to print your application fee waivers from your College Board account. You may give this waiver to our Registrar, Mrs. Velazquez, to send with your transcript request.

Q: How do I send my transcript?

A: You will request your transcript to be send through Mrs. Velazquez, our Registrar. You can request your transcript via our Google form. Mrs. Velazquez is located in the front office. The district does not allow students or parents to receive a copy of an official transcript. A request must be made to be sent from the school.

Q: How do I get/send my final transcript?

A: Attached to your senior checkout sheet is a final transcript request. Be sure to write down the college you want your final transcript to be sent. Mrs. Velazquez will process your request and send your final transcript. After mid-July, you will only be able to request your transcript from Student Services at the Administration Building. 

Q: What is the TSIA?

A: The TSIA (Texas Success Initiative Assessment) is a placement test to help your college or university determine if you are ready for college level course work in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics.

You are required to take the TSIA unless you are exempt.

Q: Do I need to take the TSIA test?

A: All college and universities require a TSIA score. You may be exempt from the TSIA if you receive a minimum score on the following test. SAT: 530- Math, 480-Reading. ACT: Composite score of 23 with at least a 19 on Math and English.

Q: How do I get/send my TSIA scores?

A: The college you plan to attend can pull your TSIA scores. You will receive an email from the college telling you to provide the scores, BUT…ask the college for a Cross-Institutional Form. The completed cross-institutional form will allow college to retrieve your TSIA score!

Q: When do I start the FAFSA?

A: OCTOBER!! You will go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to complete your FAFSA. Pick up a financial aid instructions packet from Mrs. Evans to help you complete this process.

Q: When is the deadline to complete the FAFSA?

A: January 15th, but do not wait this long. Financial aid is on a first come, first serve basis. Complete your FAFSA before the federal money runs out!

Q: I am a non-citizen. Can I get financial aid?

A: Yes! Instead of completing the FAFSA, non-citizen students will complete the TASFA ( Texas Application for State Financial Aid). See Mrs. Evans for this paperwork.

Q: Do I need to turn in my acceptance letters?

A: Absolutely! Don’t you want credit where credit is due? Turn in ALL your acceptance letters so we can celebrate YOU!

You also want to turn in ALL scholarship and grant offers to Ms. Rodriguez. Your name and scholarship will be listed in the graduation program.

Q: Who do I talk to about community service?

A: See Mrs. Amaya in the Counseling office.